Friday, October 31, 2014

This Woman"s Controversial Self-Portraits Will Change The World And How You See It.

I used to think that if you’ve seen one selfie, you’ve probably seen them all. Then, I found this series of photos Finnish photographer Iiu Susiraja took, which captured the Internet in a web of curiosity. From making a statement on culture, to rejecting society’s labels on “fat” women, these photos made me realize how people are subjected to gross judgement and dissection without a second thought.



When asked why she made these photos, Iiu responded (with broken English): “‘I photograph me because it is the subject I certainly know the best.”


When asked why she made these photos, Iiu responded (with broken English): ‘I photograph me because it is the subject I certainly know the best.


“I make object of myself and my privacy, which is a moment of fame. To turn the privacy as a public is a shelter for me. I feel privacy very painful.”


I make object of myself and my privacy, which is a moment of fame. To turn the privacy as a public is a shelter for me. I feel privacy very painful.


“When I have been spoken about my art, I have mentioned words ‘the documentation of emotions.’”


When I have been spoken about my art, I have mentioned words


“My art it is like a playful anarchism with equipment and the rituals of taking back the power.”


My art it is like a playful anarchism with equipment and the rituals of taking back the power.




“Everyday life is my muse.”


Everyday life is my muse.


Some of these photos are a bit out there.


Some of these photos are a bit out there.













(via BoredPanda)


I understand the point she’s trying to make with the photos. I also find a few of them to be a bit strange. Perhaps that’s the point. If art was truly meant to be 100% understood, we would solve all of life’s mysteries (and put a whole slew of art critics out of work).



This Woman"s Controversial Self-Portraits Will Change The World And How You See It.

No comments:

Post a Comment